When it comes to packing, I’ve found no matter what, it’s never fun. Like, never ever fun! However, through the years, I’ve come to accept this and make the most out of it. One thing I’ve gotten into the habit of doing is making sure to be prepared before I even start packing. It makes the whole experience go a little faster and smoother. A few months ago, I shared my ultimate packing guide, did you check it out?! Lists like these always help keep me sane. In the same vein, I wanted to share some tips on what to pack in your carry on bag!
* Note, this is what I pack in the bag I keep with me at all times on the plane (and put under the seat in front of me) – whether or not I’m checking a bigger bag. I HATE standing up in the middle of a flight to get something from the overhead bin, so I always pretend I’m checking a bag when packing my carry on! It helps me feel like going into my bigger bag during the flight isn’t even an option.
what to pack in your carry on
While these lists are a bit different for everyone, the foundation is still the same. Entertainment, food, extra clothes, toiletries / cosmetics, and trip essentials are all items that should be easily accessible during your flight. Inside each of these categories, I’ve laid out the items I always make sure to have with me.
- Phone + charger + headphones
- 2 books – the book I’m currently reading and the next one on my list
- Journal + pen
food and drinks
- Sandwich – so I don’t have to eat airport food (Not going to lie, I get pretty grossed out by airport food!)
- Snacks – I don’t like spending the extra money buying snacks at the airport, especially when I have things at home that will go bad while I’m out of town! I usually bring something healthy (like fruit) and also some fun things (pretzels, candy, etc.)
- One thing I do wait to buy at the airport is a big water bottle to bring on the flight with me. I know many people bring an empty water bottle to fill up once they get to the airport, so that’s an option too!
- Sweater – I’m always cold on planes!
- Socks – Like I said, ALWAYS cold!
- Underwear – just in case my bag is lost!!
toiletries / cosmetics bag
- Advil, gas-x (being bloated on a plane is miserable!), Benadryl, prescriptions
- Basic make up – powder, blush
- Aquaphor – good for dry lips, hands, elbows, and just about anything else!
- ID, necessary credit cards, cash
- Destination information – travel details, hotel information, etc.
In addition to this list, I’ve also found a few other guides helpful.
- Carry On Essentials – Brighton the Day – Brighton is one of my FAVORITE BLOGGERS EVER!! She does a great job of rounding up some important things to include in your carry on.
- 11 Things to Never Travel Without – Zachary Leo – Zachary is a flight attendant, so he obviously has the art of packing down!
- How to Pack the Perfect Carry On Bag – To Europe and Beyond – Marie broke down her packing routine into bit sized pieces – plus, her pics are super cute!
With all of this talk about packing, I’m so excited for my next trip! Luckily, I’m heading to New Orleans this weekend for a bachelorette party! Woohoo!!! 🙂 What items do you always include in your carry on?
Lots of love – ked